Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Troubles with Research

I managed to get the research position I wanted. However, the situation is odd for me because it's about positive exceptions to a normally negative situation.

Let's say for example, the idea that debutante/pageants/modelling are not examples of women playing into gender roles, but a celebration of their feminity. To be sure, its a complicated issue, but nonetheless. Anyway, this research is about the positive aspects of Filipinas marrying men in other countries- not because of mail order bride systems, not because of domestic workers, but because they are the same education level and they met each other.

Isn't that odd? And I wonder about myself if I am really just stuck in a box of prejudicial thought? But how do I stop this when all I think of is how all those mail order brides sites pop up if you type in the word "Filipina". I mean the norm should be that we expect Filipinas to marry for love and not because of these systems of exploitation, right? On a sidenote, how did the world get so fucked up? I probably know a part of it, but that's too long to exposit on a blog.

So I guess my research is just kind of at a standstill as I struggle with these issues. I feel like I'm researching against the grain of what I believe. But maybe then it will be a good thing to expand my mind. Even if I find the research I do to be more exceptional than normal.

2 comments:

Fritzie said...

I don't think you are being prejudiced in thought, although this can happen as well. But we are critical thinkers and we are not used at accepting things at face value.

Keep asking critical questions as you approach your research and think of different avenues of thought to analyze it. Think of marriage as an economic institution, the racial dynamics between these marriages, what kind of a bigger problems is this marriage symptomatic of? What does this diaspora of Filipina women mean, why do these women choose these men, don't we have men in the Philippines who have the same education level? Is it purely this reason why these women are attracted to these kind of men? Etc.

But remember the way we look at the world is always just another way of understanding it, not exactly the right one...

Anyways, I hope you are doing well. Keep thinking! I miss you!

Cristal said...

diana, you should update more. i like to know what you're thinking.