Monday, May 05, 2008

Pinay Feminism

While doing research for my thesis (freedom after Wednesday! Freedom after Wednesday!), I stumbled across this section in Pinay Power, an article by Perla Paredes Daly called "Creating NewFilipina.com and the Rise of CyberPinays":

... I came to realize I was a feminist. In my own life, I had never taken up women's studies or read about the lives of feminists. I broke down my own previous hang-ups of "what a feminist was" by coming to know "who a feminist was" and what a feminist's work was about. Thus, by the time I heard about Pinay power and so forth, the varying terms' linguistic aspects did not concern me as much as their core meaning. To me, they all signify the Filipina faces of feminism, a sense of power within being Filipina, and a feminism that addresses the challenges facing Filipino women wherever they are in the world. I believe that all forms of resistance by Filipinas against exploitation fall under the category of Filipina feminism. (233)

No comments: