Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Presidential Debate- Identity Politics?

I have a shameful secret blogging world. I voted and I had no idea who to vote on or what to base it.

Don't get me wrong, I attempted to watch the presidential debate between Obama & Clinton, but after about 30 minutes of doublespeak and snarky comments from BOTH sides I grew really tired.

In fact, this entire presidential election process is tiring me. Because what has happened is really an airing out of people's dirty laundry. The secrets that the United States tries to suppress (especially with it's ridiculously ironic moniker of "United"). Nothing about our country is "united". The country tries to keep people out, the people in the country fight amongst themselves, each class decries the problems of the other- it's all just very depressing. And while I thought maybe the US was getting better- "look we have a woman candidate AND a black candidate! Look how far we've come!". The real fact is- the presidential candidacy is really just being reduced to identity politics.

Hillary Clinton is constantly under media scrutiny. If she doesn't cry- she's a robot. If she does- she's a fake. Obama is a black man. No- he's not a REAL black man- he was raised by a white woman. Misogyny disguised as support for Obama. Racism disguised as support for Clinton.

What is going on?!?

I can hear it in men of color's voices- Obama is our only hope. He's the only one who understand feminist issues. While white women tell me Hillary Clinton is the only one who understands women's issues.

I remember the last presidential election. One of my friends said- "it's like choosing the lesser of two evils". Yet in this election it is the complete opposite. I think identity politics really affects people's views. As if a vote for Obama ends all race problems- immigration, jobs, healthcare, education, the war. And as if a vote for Clinton ends all gender problems- the war, healthcare, jobs, healthcare, the war, education. (See what I did there?)

Honestly, I don't know if I made the right decision. Either way I voted would have been wrong. But it's interesting because in my search between Clinton and Obama- either is touted at THE HOPE of our country.

Really, in my cyncism, I believe we will find out the character of our president (whoever) when they're actually president. These policies and platforms are just words and (possibly) empty promises.

I know a vote for either won't necessarily be the change that us liberals are looking for. Do you really think someone who can raise enough money and sound palatable to a broad range of people- would stop the war and end corporate global monopolies? The US presidency is step one. But as Barbara Einreich has stated:

But whoever is elected president this year, there won’t be any real change in a progressive direction without a mass social movement to bring it about – either by holding the president accountable or by holding his or her feet to the fire. And a mass social movement doesn’t begin at the top. It begins right now, with you.

And I believe it continues with the rest of the world and the rest of the world's refusal to put up with all the injustice in the world. 

But, we're only talking US presidency here, right? Small steps. Small steps.









No comments: